This basic vegan tofu scramble makes an excellent substitute for scrambled eggs, and pairs nicely with other “Big Breakfast” sides like my fluffy pancakes, homemade bread, vegan sausage or hash browns!
What Makes This Basic Vegan Tofu Scramble Great?
I absolutely love tofu. It’s incredibly versatile, really cheap and pretty damn good for you! This vegan recipe is really easy to prepare. You don’t need to know anything special about tofu. It’s super comforting and makes a great substitute for eggs. This tofu scramble has zero cholesterol, and can be made fat free by using water instead of vegan butter or oil. It tastes super eggy, it’s full of protein and is a great way to start your morning!
This Basic Tofu Scramble is:
- Totally customizable. Go ahead and add whatever veggies you like! I’ll often use a little cashew cream or dairy-free cheese and veggie ham.
- Affordable. Tofu is just as affordable as eggs-even more affordable if you buy it in bulk!
- Easy to make-just saute your veggies, crumble the tofu and spice it up.
- Ready in minutes. This tofu scramble is so fast to prepare. I would say its even faster than scrambling eggs. You literally just need to crumble the tofu, heat and serve.
- A Healthy Egg Alternative. Tofu is naturally cholesterol and saturated fat free. Your heart will thank you!
- A great way to add protein to your diet. Many plant-based foods contain protein (in fact they ALL do) but I really love how tofu has a high protein to carbohydrate and fat ratio. I find it keeps me fuller longer.
- The Prefect Meal-Prep Vegan Breakfast. This tofu scramble can be made in big batches and then stored in the fridge or even frozen in burritos.
- Tastes just like scrambled eggs. Thanks to a few spices like nutritional yeast and Black Salt (Kala Namak), this tofu scramble tastes just like the real thing!
Looking to make the switch to healthy plant-based eating?
Zero to Vegan gives you all of the tools you need to make eating vegan effortless.
My program will walk you through:
* Exactly what foods you should and shouldn’t be eating for the healthiest results
* How to plan your meals around a new protein, instead of meat
* How to make sure you’re eating the right amount of food
* How to properly plan a balanced vegan diet to make sure you’re getting the proper nutrition
With less than an hour of your time, you’ll have all of the essential information you need to make a healthy vegan transition today, plus the tools to put your plan into action.
Find out how you can make the change today!
What type of Tofu is BEST for a Tofu Scramble?
The BEST type of tofu to use for this recipe is extra firm. It will have the closest texture to scrambled eggs. I always use the Sunrise brand. It comes in a green package and you can usually find it in the deli or the fruit and vegetable section of the grocery store.
Does Tofu Scramble Taste Like Eggs?
Yes! And here’s why…
This tofu scramble recipe is seasoned with nutritional yeast which gives a delicious “cheesy” flavor to foods. When you use it in a tofu scramble it really adds a lot of flavor and depth to your dish.
Using onion powder also adds to the flavor and gives a nice egg-like taste.
The super seceret ingredient though to make tofu taste like eggs is Kala Namak, otherwise known as Black Salt.
Kala Namak is a Himalayan salt that has a high sulfur content. This is what gives tofu a delicious egg like taste.
To learn more about Kala Namak and vegan cooking READ: Why Do Vegans Use Black Salt (Kala Namak)?
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Here are a few more vegan breakfast recipes to try! One of my favorites is the Vegan Eggs Benedict!
- Easy Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- Vegan Eggs Benedict-A Hollandaise Sauce to Blow Your Mind
- Fluffy Whole Wheat Vegan Pancakes Without Banana
Can You Re-Heat Tofu Scramble?
One of my favorite things about this vegan breakfast recipe is that you can make a large batch and re-heat it as you need. It’s absolutely perfect for having a hearty breakfast during the busy work week.
To re-heat tofu scramble simply portion out what you would like heated and place it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. To add a little more freshness to the dish, sprinkle on some pre-cut green onion or diced tomatoes. I also love serving it with a little salsa.
Learn the Easiest Way to Store Green Onions here!
How Long Does Tofu Scramble Last?
This basic vegan tofu scramble recipe will easily last in the fridge for 4-5 days. To save yourself time in the morning, why not make a big batch and store it in individual containers? If you are using glass containers, simply re-heat it in the storage bowl and eat.
Can You Freeze Tofu Scramble
Yes! In fact, this basic vegan tofu scramble recipe is the perfect base for making vegan breakfast burritos.
Simply fill a tortilla with prepared tofu scramble. Feel free to add some veggie ham, a little vegan cheese and some salsa. Wrap it into a burrito and freeze.
Tofu scramble will last for 4-6 months frozen like this.
To re-heat frozen tofu scramble, remove from the freezer, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
How to Make my Basic Vegan Tofu Scramble:
Basic Vegan Tofu Scramble
This basic Vegan Tofu Scramble recipe is so easy to make! It's an excellent substitute for eggs. Full of protein with zero cholesterol. A big breakfast is never complete with out a good tofu scramble!
- 1 block extra Firm Tofu I use “Sunrise” Brand
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter **optional
- 1 tsp Kala Namak/ Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 4 slices Veggie Ham
- 1/2 cup Vegan Cheese
How to Make Basic Vegan Tofu Scramble
Melt butter in a pan over medium heat or and water.
Add the onion, pepper and mushrooms to the pan. Saute until they begin to soften-around 3-4 minutes.
Crumble the tofu into the pan by squishing it between your fingers until you get a texture that looks like scrambled eggs.
Sprinkle the tofu with the spices and stir to combine.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes for the tofu to absorb the flavour.
If adding veggie ham and vegan cheese, remove the pan from the heat and add in the diced veggie ham and vegan cheese shreds. Stir to combine.
**Calorie and Nutritional information is an estimate.
So, I really hope you guys try this out. Tofu is not as intimidating as it may seem at first, I promise! You are going to feel way healthy and this tastes really good! You won’t miss the eggs:)
This scramble makes an AMAZING breakfast sandwich or wrap!! Just toast and butter two pieces of homemade bread, add a little ketchup and place some of your tofu scramble in the middle-perfection!!
READ THIS NEXT: Why Do Vegan’s Use Black Salt (Kala Namak)?
If you guys give this recipe a go, please tag me on Instagram @megan_kerry_xo so I can see your beautiful re-creations!
Follow along on Pinterest for even more Vegan Recipe Inspiration! I pin daily from around the world!
Like the Facebook page to keep in touch.
You can always find me on my YouTube channel, Megan Kerry!
***Some of my links may be affiliate links. This provides me with a commission on purchases you might make. It doesn’t cost you any extra money though! It’s a great way to support the blog. Thanks in Advance***
Until next time guys,