These Healthy Cranberry Orange Muffins will make you feel like you’re cheating on breakfast! Whole wheat, oats, pure cranberry juice, and ground flax are some of the healthiest foods you can include for a balanced breakfast, but these vegan muffins go the extra mile by being 100% oil-free.
You guys…my house smells incredible right now! The zest of orange and the tart sweetness of cranberry is a beautiful thing to wake up to! Today I’m bringing you these Healthy Cranberry Orange Breakfast Muffins because it’s nice to treat yourself without sacrificing your health.
Ingredients for Cranberry Orange Muffins
Like every recipe I make, these muffins are vegan! No need for eggs or dairy here. Let me show you what you’ll need to make these breakfast muffins right at home.
- Whole Wheat Flour. I just used a no-name brand for this recipe.
- Quick Oats. You could use large flake oats as well, but please avoid steel cut oats as they require a much longer cooking time.
- Pure, Unsweetened Cranberry Juice. If all you can find is cranberry cocktail, then I would reduce the sugar by half.
- Plant Milk. I used Silk Soy Milk Original.
- Apple Sauce. If you can find a berry blend apple sauce, that would be best for this recipe, but if all you have is plain apple sauce that will work as well.
- Orange Marmalade. I used a no-name brand for this as well, and it tastes amazing.
- Coconut Sugar. I used 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, but I would say you could get away with 1/4 cup here if you’d prefer a lower sugar content for your breakfast muffins.
- Ground Flax. The flax must be ground so it can absorb moisture and gel to imitate an egg. This will add moisture to the muffins, especially since they are oil-free.
- Baking Powder.
- Dried Cranberries. I could only find sweetened dried cranberries, but if you have a good health food store near you, try and find the dried berries without added sugar. You could also use fresh cranberries instead!
How to Make Vegan Cranberry Orange Breakfast Muffins
This recipe isn’t complicated, but there are a few steps I want to outline for you that will make your breakfast muffins even better:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees before you start mixing the ingredients, this way it will be ready to go when you are, saving you time.
- Add the oats, cranberry juice, and plant milk to a bowl and mix to combine. The acid in the cranberry juice will mix with the plant milk creating a buttermilk-like flavor and texture. This will soften the oats and blend beautifully with the rest of the batter. Set this aside for 5 minutes to allow the oats to absorb the liquid and begin to soften.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to distribute the baking powder and salt evenly throughout the flour.
- Once the oats have had a few minutes to absorb the cranberry and plant milk mixture, add the apple sauce and marmalade. Use a whisk to break up the marmalade and mix all the ingredients well.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup ground flax and 1/4 cup water. This mixture will begin to gel after about 2 minutes.
- Add the ground flax mixture and the coconut sugar to the oats, and stir to combine.
- Finally, combine the dry and wet ingredients together, mixing well.
- Stir in the dried cranberries 1/2 cup at a time to make sure they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Use silicone or paper muffin liners and fill the muffin tins 3/4 full with the cranberry orange muffin mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes:
You’re not going to want to miss out on number 3…..
- Easy Back to School Vegan Breakfast Ideas
- Creamy Green Pina Colada Smoothie
- Vegan Eggs Benedict-A Hollandaise Sauce to Blow Your Mind!
- Basic Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Unbelievable Vegan Chickpea Flour Omelette
- Fluffy Whole Wheat Vegan Pancakes-WITHOUT Banana!
- Vegan Banana Nut Muffins
Cranberry Orange Muffins
Wanna eat dessert for breakfast without the guilt? Try these HEALTHY Cranberry Orange Vegan Muffins!
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup pure, unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the quick oats, cranberry juice and plant milk in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine.
To the oats mixture add the apple sauce and marmalade. Mix well.
In a small bowl combine the ground flax and 1/4 cup water. Allow to gel for 1-2 minutes.
Add the ground flax mixture to the oats. Stir to combine.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
Sprinkle the dried cranberries into the muffin mixture.
Line the muffin tin with muffin cups like these silicone ones.
Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
Bake for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
**Calorie and nutritional information is an estimate.
Shop the post
Here are some links for ingredients and products mentioned. These are affiliate links so if you are planning to make a purchase I really appreciate the support. Thank you!
Here is a brand new pin for your board so you can come back to this recipe when you’re ready to give it a try. Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest for recipe inspiration every day!
Disclaimer: Megan Kerry is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This never impacts the cost of the products you purchase by clicking the link, and it’s a great way to support the free content I bring you. Thank you!
[…] Cranberry Orange Muffins https://megankerry.com/cranberry-orange-muffins/ Unbelievable Chickpea Flour Omelette https://megankerry.com/vegan-chickpea-flour-omelette/ […]