I love homemade bread, but since going whole-foods plant-based I’ve had to alter my original recipe a little so it doesn’t use oil. This oil-free 100% whole wheat vegan bread machine recipe is a whole foods, plant-based way to make fresh bread right at home.
This post contains affiliate links. When you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission. This in no way increases the cost for you. It’s a great way to support my blog, and the free content I bring you;)
What Makes This Vegan Bread Machine Recipe Great
I love this whole wheat bread machine recipe because like all bread maker recipes, it’s almost totally hands off! This vegan bread is packed with fiber and nutrition! Being oil-free means it is a much healthier alternative to store-bought bread. This bread machine recipe is:
- 100% whole wheat
- All vegan: dairy-free, egg-free, and uses no honey
- Easy to make
- Stores well
- Tastes delicious
- Super soft
Looking to make the switch to healthy plant-based eating?
Zero to Vegan gives you all of the tools you need to make eating vegan effortless.
My program will walk you through:
* Exactly what foods you should and shouldn’t be eating for the healthiest results
* How to plan your meals around a new protein, instead of meat
* How to make sure you’re eating the right amount of food
* How to properly plan a balanced vegan diet to make sure you’re getting the proper nutrition
With less than an hour of your time, you’ll have all of the essential information you need to make a healthy vegan transition today, plus the tools to put your plan into action.
Find out how you can make the change today!
Isn’t Bread Already Vegan?
Not always. Especially with whole wheat bread, you will find ingredients like honey, milk, and eggs mixed in. My bread uses all vegan ingredients that are not only easy to find but really inexpensive as well.
What Ingredients Do You Need to Make Homemade Bread?
The ingredient list for this vegan bread machine recipe is quite small actually. For this whole wheat bread you will need:
- plant milk (I used unsweetened soy)
- fancy molasses (don’t use black-strap, the taste is too strong)
- whole wheat flour (no need to use bread flour, the regular whole wheat works well)
- bread machine yeast (Do not use traditional yeast. It won’t work in the bread maker)
What Type of Flour to use in the Bread Maker
For this recipe, I am using plain whole wheat flour. You don’t need to use a whole wheat flour specifically designed for bread.
What’s the Difference Between Bread Machine Yeast, Instant Yeast and Traditional Yeast?
Essentially bread machine yeast and instant yeast are the same things. The main difference between these two products is how they are packaged. Instant yeast is usually found in pre-portioned packages, used for recipes like pizza dough, but you can use them in the bread maker as well-as long as you use the correct amount.
Traditional yeast is larger granules compared to instant and bread machine yeast. This is why when you are making bread in a bread maker or bread machine you need to use bread machine yeast. Traditional yeast will not dissolve properly in the recipe and your bread will not turn out properly.
Fancy Molasses VS Black Strap Molasses
For this recipe, we will be using fancy molasses. Blackstrap molasses is basically fancy molasses cooked down and reduced further. This means it has a much more robust flavor and less sugar than fancy molasses. Be sure to use the fancy molasses for this bread machine recipe.
More Vegan Bread Machine Recipes
Try these vegan recipes out next!
How to Make 100% Whole Wheat Oil-Free Vegan Bread in a Bread Maker
Every bread maker is different in that the order you add your ingredients is determined by the manufacturer. For me, I use the Sunbeam Bread Maker. I love this little guy! It gives me a few options for the size of the loaf I want to make, and how dark the crust will be when the bread is finished.
This recipe is for a 2-pound loaf. I always select a “medium” crust.
To make this recipe, simply add your ingredients into the bread pan in the order recommended by your bread maker. Then select the whole wheat cycle and close the lid! That’s it!
100% Whole Wheat Oil-Free Vegan Bread Maker Recipe
This 100% whole wheat oil-free vegan bread machine recipe is a whole foods, plant-based way to make fresh bread right at home.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fancy molasses
- 3 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bread machine or instant yeast
Add all of your ingredients into the bread pan in the order recommended by the machine's manufacturer. (Find this in the manual).
Select 2-pound loaf
Select the whole-wheat cycle
I calculated the calories based on 16 slices of bread. It’s about 120 calories for 1 slice of bread, but it is an estimate, as always.
How to Slice Bread from a Bread Maker
My best tip on slicing bread from a bread maker is to actually run your machine at night before bed.
When the bread is able to cool inside the bread pan, all of the moisture that would have otherwise been lost is now preserved. The structure of the bread is also more stable when you do this.
Slicing bread that has had the right amount of time to properly cool is a million times easier then slicing a hot from the oven loaf.
Here’s how I slice my bread so I can get the most regular-sized slices from that awkward tall loaf that’s created in the bread machine.
- Once the bread is cooled, remove it from the pan and place it on a cutting board.
- Remove the paddle if it is still inside the loaf. I like to use a chopstick and I insert it into the hole inside the paddle to take it out without causing too much damage to the bread.
- Slice the bread once lengthwise, down the middle.
- Place each loaf on the cutting board, cut side down so you now have two long loaves.
- You can now slice your bread into individual slices.
Keep in mind, making perfect slices comes with practice:) If you find your bread is squishing too much, try and let the knife do the cutting instead of pressing super hard into the loaf.
Another tip I have is to cut wider slices to maintain the structure and strength of the bread.
Here are a few tools to help you out:
- This is a really cool bamboo guide to help you get even slices. You can adjust it to make thinner or thicker slices. I like that it’s made of bamboo too!
- I used to use an electric knife to cut my bread when I was just learning. It made it really easy to slice without squishing my loaf. This one is affordable, and the reviews are great!
- Once you are a little more confident, then this bread knife is great because you don’t need to go through the hassle of unboxing and plugging in your electric knife.
Watch this video over on my YouTube channel. I show you how to properly slice your bread there. The bread recipe is a different version of this one. It’s still vegan (of course!) but it does contain oil.
I hope you guys fall in love with this easy vegan bread machine recipe. Whole wheat bread is such a warm and comforting addition to your family meals.
I’ve created a pin for your board so you can come back to this recipe when you are ready to try it out for yourself!
When you do try it, tag me on Instagram! I would love to see your recreations!
Please leave me a comment with any questions about this vegan recipe.
RATE THIS RECIPE! It helps others find it!
Until next time guys,
Whenever you’re ready here are 4 ways we can work more closely together: